Just a quick update on where I am and what I’m doing. Exactly one month ago (3 October) I started as a student at Cranmer Hall in Durham, training for ordained ministry in the Church of England. I’ll be here for three years, spending two years on the BA in Theology, Ministry and Mission (Common Awards), and then my final year on the MA in Theology and Ministry.
This year, I’m expecting my modules to look something like this:
- Biblical studies (38%):
- Old Testament (Psalms and wisdom this term, then prophets next term)
- New Testament (Paul this term, focusing on 1 Corinthians, then John next term)
- New Testament Greek (based on Duff’s Elements)
- Church ministry and mission (38%):
- Mission and evangelism
- Christian worship and public ministry (from an Anglican perspective)
- Ministerial formation (smaller modules) (25%):
- Pastoral care
- Theological reflection
- Sexuality, gender and Christian ministry
In addition, I’m on a term-time placement this term and next term in a couple of semi-rural parishes not too far from Newcastle (Sundays, mainly), and there will (probably) be a couple of two-week placements later in the year.
No postcard would be complete without a picture. In case you are reading this via something like feedly (if so, well done), you’ll need to click through (sorry) to see my new header image, which is the view from Prebends’ Bridge, taken the other week on my daily commute. Remind me why I chose Durham… it wasn’t only for the food!
That’s all for now!